After the gears were cut I needed a base to connect them. I used a piece of acrylic about 3x4 inches.
Making the Driver
For the driver I used a motor that was salvaged from an old printer. The motor needed a casing to minimize damage to the wires and for stability. An empty ear bud case that made a perfect enclosure. I used a permanent marker to outline the diameter (about 4cm) of the motor and a Dremel to cut it out. Sanding the cut out circle made the jagged edges smooth.
An additional hole was drilled in the lid of the ear bud casing for the small gear to poke through. Foam craft shapes from the DollarTree were used to accommodate motor diameter spacing and minimize vibrating. I used card stock to give the motor casing a nice DIY mechanical look. Finally four small holes were drilled in the bottom of the plastic casing. Four 3 inch dowels were inserted in the holes turning the enclosure into a upright stand. This completed the design for the gear driver. Watch the video to see this project in action. New design plans for a marble run kit are underway for the driver. Check back next week to see what I come up with.
Thanks for reading. Please check out more cool projects!
Guest blogger wanted!